1. Is SFDS a religious school? Is there tuition? No. We are a privately owned school fully funded by NYS.
2. How do I enroll my child at SFDS? Please contact Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Coordinator Beverly Rogers
Voice: 718-636-4573 ext 116
3. Does SFDS educate Deaf students with other disabilities? Yes. We educate Deafblind students, Deaf students with Intellectual
Disabilities, Deaf Students with Autism and functionally Deaf students.
4. What are the class ratios at SFDS? We have both 6:1:1 (6 students, 1 teacher, 1 assistant) and 6:1:2 (6 students,
1 teacher, 2 assistants) ratios.
5. Does SFDS have 1:1 Paras? Legally Blind students are entitled to a 1:1 O&M/Intervener Para if
documented on their IEP.
6. What related services does SFDS offer? We offer Counseling, Feeding Therapy, Occupation Therapy (OT), Physical
Therapy (PT), Orientation & Mobility (O&M), Speech & Language Therapy,
Teacher of the Blind & Visually Impaired (TVI)
7. What does multimodal communication mean? Although our students receptively comprehend language either through
American Sign Language (ASL) or spoken English some may not be able to
express language through ASL or spoken English. Some students use other
modes to express themselves including Picture Exchange Communication
System (PECS), mid tech devices (i.e.- simple voice output devices) and high
tech devices (i.e., iPads with speech generating software).